Saturday, January 1, 2011

Hellllllo 2011!

2010 was jam-packed.  Lots of experiences. Lots of lessons.  All in all, I am glad to say good bye to this year and ready to make the best of 2011.  Here's the highlights of this crazy year....

  • Student teaching- I started the year with student teaching in kindergarten.  I had a fabulous mentor teacher and grade level to work with.  They were so welcoming and really treated me as an equal.  I am extremely thankful for the lessons I learned during my last semester of college.  I remember "thinking" I was exhausted, but looking back now it is almost comical that I thought that :)  Great experience with great people (kiddos included).  
  • Graduated from UH- I graduated from college in May and was lucky to have a lot of my family come to celebrate.  After a few days on Oahu we all packed up and headed to Maui.  What a great time!!

  •  2 trips to Alaska-   We went to Alaska in July and again for Thanksgiving.  We had a great time visiting Warren's family and exploring this beautiful state. Awesome times!

  • Jenn's wedding- My sister had a beautiful wedding that I was lucky to be a part of. This also meant I got to go home and play with my adorable niece.  She makes my heart smile! It makes me sad that I can't see her more often, but boy do we have fun together when I do! :)

  •  Became a 5th grade teacher- To my delight, I was offered a job at the school I student taught at.  Having many familiar faces is making this experience much easier!  My first semester of teaching was not a walk in the park, but I have come a long way and know I will only keep growing.  This has been by far the hardest thing I have ever done.  It has been a stressful and emotional few months.  There have been many days where I dismissed the kids at 2:05 and immediately closed my doors so the outside world wouldn't see me bawling alone in my classroom.  There are days where I seriously feel like I am not capable of doing anything right.  I have learned the impact that a few kind words can have on someone in these types of situations and also when friendliness is completely missing.  I have learned to be proud of my successes, even if they seem so small in the grand scheme... 
  Thanks 2010! Lots of great memories and challenges that have only made me a stronger person today.

1 comment:

  1. You had a good year in 2010! Also i miss your posts :) Can't wait till March so you can come and play with Dede and new baby!

    ReplyDelete